Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Sunfish on Spring Day 2017: Brainerd, Minnesota Fishing

I grew up in the northwest part of Minnesota, near the border with North Dakota. From an early age, I spent alot of time out fishing off my grandparents dock and catching sunfish, also known as blue gills and bream.  Grandma would clean the fish and she taught me how to trim out the rib bones so I could help with the process.   But my favorite thing about sunfish is catching them, and my second favorite is dredging them in some spicy fry dust and deep frying them until they are crispy.  I add some homemade tarter sauce (sliced pickles, mustard, garlic, capers, mayo, hot sauce) and fry up some potatoes and along with a cold beverage it is a very satisfying meal.  

Here is one of them I caught today for the frying pan.
I have grown accustomed to fishing for sun fish and other pan fish because it is the only thing allowed when a person has young kids along, as my kids and I  aren't patient enough to fish for walleye, and I have a hard enough time finding and catching enough pan fish to feed the crew. 
 Here is a colorful hybrid bluegill.  I had enough of them by 11 am this morning for tonight's evening fish fry.  It is a perfect time of year to be out on the lakes fishing.  Good luck out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment

How Truck Drivers Can Eat Healthy on the Road

Great article on the challenges of eating healthy while living on the road: How Truck Drivers Can Eat Healthy on the Road : The news came a...