Sunday, November 22, 2015

Sauna Enthusiasts in Minnesota: Star Tribune Article


I was impressed by the article on the rising interest in sauna's among Minnesota's millennials.
I have built many saunas, and was first introduced to them from my father and grandfather.  They
are a nice way to fight back against the long dark winters in Minnesota.  I enjoy firing up my wood burning
sauna stove and filling up the wood bucket with some water, and standing outside between sessions in
subzero freezing temperatures.   A dousing of cold water over my head and maybe a scrub with some
tar soap, along with a few beers is a way to show mother nature that the cold isn't going to win.  I think
this resilience is what the Finnish refer to as SISU, and Minnesotan's could use a little of this when it comes
to our relentless winter weather.

It is also a practice that doesn't incorporate electronics.  They are actually shunned in my sauna, along with
loud talking, and electric light.  The only light in my sauna is a candle, if we use any light at all.


Here is my favorite quote from the article, in reference to how taking a sauna is like a mini-vacation from their electronic leash cellphones: “They are so plugged in all the time, it’s hard for people of that age to drop that, so the sauna has become this wonderful place to do that, like a mini-vacation,” he said.

Read the entire article: Sauna Enthusiasts in Minnesota: Star Tribune Article link


2 comments:

  1. Yes, Minnesota winters are relentless. We don't usually get much snow, but we always get cold. I personally enjoy going to a sauna after ice fishing. The heat of sauna right after being out on a cold and freezing lake is very satisfying. The sauna is like the cherry on top of a day of relaxation. It is something everyone needs every once in a while.

    Ronni Casillas @ JNH Life Styles

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about everyone needing a sauna every once in a while. For me, the experience is almost like hitting the reset button on life...in a very good way. Thanks for your comment and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete

How Truck Drivers Can Eat Healthy on the Road

Great article on the challenges of eating healthy while living on the road: How Truck Drivers Can Eat Healthy on the Road : The news came a...